Saturday, March 12, 2011

Simply "Da Best"...

I have the best sister in the world. She always seems to know how to keep me in check and positive about life and the things I do. Today was no exception.

The infamous 5K race was today (more details to follow in a later post), and while I did indeed finish, I did not do quite as well as I had hoped. It is definitely a flaw of mine to be hard on myself, and knowing this, my sister picked up on the fact that I seemed to be a bit down in spite of having achieved what I had set out to do. She asked why I was feeling down, and when I told her it was because I felt like all of my training didn't quite get me to where I had hoped to be, she replied with this, "As an athlete, when you played soccer, your game was the quick, short, sprint-type running; endurance is not your game or strong point. Yet, knowing that, you still set out to run the 5K and overcome it, and you did. What you did is a huge accomplishment, and you have every reason to be just as proud as anyone who finished that race."

That one little speech has truly made all the difference. She has made realize what I struggled to see all along, that I did something I never thought I could have done. Two months ago, running a full 5K seemed like a nice goal, but not a reality, and today I changed that. I am so proud of this accomplishment, and I have my sister to thank for helping me to fully recognize that. I feel blessed to have her as my sister and will always love her for the person that she is and who she helps me to be. She is simply "da best."

No comments:

Post a Comment