Sunday, March 20, 2011

MJ's visit...and sushi

So as you (probably) know, my sister came to visit last weekend, and it was GREAT! I really miss not living closer to her; we may argue (and often over stupid things - see below) but in the end we always get over it and have a fabulous time. We ran the 5K, hung out with my friends and played whirlyball. A simple agenda, but lots of fun (and funny for me to watch MJ gimp around, like an old bitty, after killing herself in the 5k - without training!). Here is a photo of us sporting our green pride with some friends Saturday night!


However, as mentioned previously, sisters getting together isn't without it's heated moments, and by Sunday MJ and I had hit that point. I woke up in a bit of grump (okay, very grumpy) and couldn't seem to shake it. I love my sister, but the one thing she can't seem to figure out is that when I'm in that mood, continuing to bring up an argument or make fun of me (albeit in good fun) does not help. In fact, it does just the opposite. I can be a very level-headed, patient person, but by Sunday evening when we were discussing what to do for dinner with a couple friends, my tolerance for her little comments had run out, and thus began the world's longest argument about...Sushi.

It started with a comment by her that went a little something like this, "I really want sushi for dinner (friends agree), but I'm sure if we ask Grace she will say, 'That's nice, but here's what we are actually getting.'" Now, let me preface this with the fact that I have only had sushi once before, and it was no more than a piece of a spicy tuna roll (from my sister...and ironically, she doesn't remember this). I actually didn't mind it, but sushi is just something that I haven't ever bothered to "fully" experience. So, the idea didn't exactly thrill me, but I was being a good sport and said, "That's fine, however I don't eat sushi, so you will have to look up where to go for it." She took this as a negative remark, and while she did look up places to go for sushi, she continued to go on and on about me not wanting to try something new and if it's a problem why don't I just say so. When I tried to protest and say it was okay and that I was up for it, she kept insisting I wasn't. This went on for 30 minutes. Yes, that's right, 30 MINUTES. 30 minutes of arguing, in increasing volume, before she finally felt convinced that I was being sincere enough to go and have sushi for dinner. I know that sounds awful, and not all that funny, but the story gets better.

When we finally reached the sushi place (of my sister's choice) and pulled in to the parking lot, we found that we were the only customers there. Not exactly what you want to see when hoping to consume raw foods (and this was agreed upon by all). So, we got Mexican instead...HAHA! What a night! In the end we had a laugh about it and had to thank sushi for making us realize how ridiculous we can be (and perhaps a bit tired too). [Also made a promise to find a decent sushi place here before she visits again...just to save an argument in the future! haha]

Does anyone else have silly arguments with their siblings?

No comments:

Post a Comment